When cold weather arrives, is there anything better than a cozy night in with a hot bowl of soup, a warm blanket, fuzzy socks and a movie? Sounds like the perfect winter evening to us.
Now the big question is…what kind of soup to have? Well, we have the answer with this delicious French onion soup recipe that is sure to keep anyone warm.
TOTAL TIME: 90 MINUTES
- 1 stick of butter, divided
- 3 yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups iO organic beef flavored stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 French baguette, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup parmesan, grated
- In a large pot, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add onions, salt, pepper, and sugar to the melted butter, stirring often until the onions are very soft, golden brown and caramelized, about 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes. Pour in beef flavored stock and wine, then add thyme, celery stalk, and bay leaves. Simmer partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Brush 8 slices of bread with melted butter and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for 7 minutes on both sides. Remove toasted baguettes and rub a garlic clove half (cut side down) onto each slice.
- Turn oven to broil. Remove bay leaves and celery stalk from the soup before ladling into 4 oven-safe bowls. Place the toasted bread on top of each bowl and sprinkle generously with both cheeses. Broil until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
Additional Note – Don’t be afraid to change up the cheese! Swiss, provolone, fontina, and mozzarella are all perfect toppings.