Everyone knows and loves this classic and easy sweet treat.
While we don’t like to mess with a recipe that is basically perfect, a little variation isn’t necessarily a bad thing. We’re always happy with more marshmallows, more butter and a few other small additions.
SERVES: 20-24 SQUARES
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
REST TIME: 30-60 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 50-80 MINUTES
- ½ cup salted butter
- 2 10-ounce bags miniature marshmallows (divided)
- 1 box iO organic rice crisp cereal
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Lightly grease a 9”x13” pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Set aside two cups of marshmallows.
- Melt butter over low heat in a large pot.
- Once the butter is melted, add all but the two cups of marshmallows, vanilla extract and salt. Stir with a greased spatula until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Once mixture is smooth, remove the pot from the heat and add the full box of rice crisp cereal and additional two cups of marshmallows and stir with a greased spatula until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the lightly greased pan and, using either greased waxed paper or the butter wrapper, press and spread the mixture gently into an even layer.
- Let cool at room temperature for 30-60 minutes.
- Once cool, flip uncut treats onto a cutting board or serving platter and using serrated bread knife cut into uniform squares.
- Have a little fun with different mix-ins! Add candy-coated chocolates, chocolate chips, sprinkles or dried fruit to the mixture after the cereal and additional marshmallows have been added.
- iO Organic Toasted O’s or Organic Honey Toasted O’s are also perfect options if you feel like changing up the cereal.
- These treats are freezer friendly (if they last that long). Simply place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze up to 6 weeks. Let thaw at room temperature for about an hour before serving.