Blueberry BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
Two classic summer favorites — blueberries and barbecue join forces in this tangy and sweet sauce.
- Cutting Board
- 2 Small bowls
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cup(s)
- Measuring spoons
- Paper towel
- Pastry brush
- Serving platter
- 3 Tbsp iO organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp Ground cayenne pepper
- 8 pieces Chicken drumsticks bone-in, skin-on
- 2 Garlic cloves
- ½ cup iO organic frozen blueberries thawed
- ¼ cup Red onion chopped
- ¼ cup iO organic chicken stock
- ¼ cup iO organic wild blueberry fruit spread
- ¼ cup iO organic ketchup
- 2 Tbsp iO organic balsamic vinegar
- Green onion chopped, for optional garnish
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. In small bowl, stir oil, poultry seasoning, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Pat chicken dry with paper towel; rub with oil mixture.
- In blender, purée garlic, blueberries, red onion, stock, fruit spread, ketchup and vinegar. Makes about 1 ½ cups.
- In small bowl, reserve 1 cup of the blueberry mixture. Place chicken on hot grill rack; cover and cook 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°, turning frequently. During last 5 minutes of cooking, brush both sides of chicken with remaining ½ cup blueberry mixture. Transfer to serving platter; serve with 1 cup reserved blueberry mixture and garnish chicken with green onion, if desired.
For a little extra kick, use chili sauce instead of ketchup.
Serving: 2piecesCalories: 516kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 44gFat: 29gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 244mgSodium: 593mgFiber: 1gSugar: 12g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!